Hi! I’m Rosie.
I’m passionate about transformative technology and its potential to radically improve the future.
I’m interested in the intersection of economics and ethics, and more generally in designing systems to achieve good outcomes. I think a lot about systems, productivity, incentive structures, mechanism design, AI, futurism, effective altruism, morality, science, and rationality, among other things.
I’m a Program Lead at the Partnership on AI where I research safe and beneficial AI strategy, with a current focus on publication practices for increasingly advanced AI. Previously I was Assistant Director of the Center for Human-Compatible AI at UC Berkeley, and a Research Engineer at BBC R&D. I cofounded Manchester Futurists, and I’ve studied Physics, Philosophy, Computer Science, and Machine Learning. Here is a longer third-person bio.
- In terms of the big 5, I’m high on openness, conscientiousness, and agreeableness; I’m medium on extraversion and low on neuroticism.
- I value epistemic rigor; I think it’s really difficult to actually know anything but tools like statistics, Bayes’ theroem, being evidence-based, and understanding cognitive biases can help.
- I’m fascinated by scams, cults, MLMs, pseudoscience, conspiracies, etc.
- I’m frustrated by things that aren’t as good as they could be and spend a lot of time reading and thinking about ideas for improving the world.
- I’m ~95% vegan (the 5% gives me some wiggle room to be pragmatic).
- I attend Berkeley Entrepreneurial Toastmasters.
- I love bright colors, classic rock music, firepits, bread, and red wine.
- I enjoy dancing (mostly salsa) and have recently been getting into power-lifting.
- I have grapheme-color synaesthesia.
- I often experiment with ways to simplify and improve my life and I procrastinate by reading about productivity.
- Currently, I’m studying economics and thinking a lot about things like public goods, coordination problems, collective action problems, game theory, etc, and how they intersect with ethics.
- I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and am originally from the UK. I enjoy noticing little cultural differences.
- I occasionally make video tutorials about Roam Research.
I’m currently taking a break from twitter so the best way to contact me is to email email@example.com. I’m also experimenting with offering free 30 minute calls to people interested in relevant areas who I may be able to help. It’s kind of a cross between mentoring, coaching, and consultancy — if you’re interested send me your info here.
About this site
Some of my posts contain links to products; as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Updated Sep, 24 2020