June 14, 2020
Sage Walnut Pesto Penne with Crispy Broccolini and Cranberries
Source: Original recipe link
- 6 oz broccolini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- ½ oz fresh sage
- ¾ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup soy-free vegan parmesan
- 2 oz baby spinach
- 6 oz Banza penne
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil
- Roast the broccolini: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta. Trim the bottom inch off the broccolini stems and add the stalks to a baking sheet. Toss with 2 tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper and roast until tender and browned in places, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Prepare the pesto: Peel the garlic. Halve the lemon. Pick the sage leaves and discard the stems. In a food processor, combine the garlic, lemon juice, sage leaves, walnuts, spinach, just half the parmesan, 3 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp water, ½ tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper. Pulse pesto until well combined but not completely smooth.
- Cook the pasta: Once the water is boiling, add the pasta, stir, and cook until al dente, about 6 to 8 minutes. Reserve ¼ cup of pasta water and drain the penne. Return the penne to the pot, off of the heat.
- Add the pesto: Add the sage walnut pesto and reserved pasta water to the penne in the pot. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until penne is well coated and pesto sauce has thickened, about 1 to 2 minutes. Season pasta to taste with salt.
- Serve: Toss the cranberries with the broccolini directly on the baking sheet. Divide the sage walnut pesto penne between shallow bowls and serve with crispy broccolini. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan. Mangia!
Updated Sep, 13 2020